Watermelon Juice is quite refreshing on summer days and most Belizeans love it.
1 -2 cups of cubed/diced watermelon
1/4 -1/2 cup of lime or lemon juice
1 tsp of ginger (optional)
1/4 cup of brown sugar or more depending on your taste
1/4 cup of water or more depending on thickness
1 cup of crushed ice
Slice watermelon and remove as much of the seed as possible. Dice water melon into cubes. Combine all ingredients in a blender until it becomes liquid. Strain liquid and serve with ice or without.
Ginger beer is loved by most Belizean for its pungent ginger flavor. However, it’s not an alcoholic drink. In other words, you will not get a buzz from drinking it (Maybe a sugar rush, though). Similar to root beer, which is also non-alcoholic, ginger beer is just a delicious tasting drink. Would you like to try it? Here’s a recipe from: http://www.islandflave.com
- 3/4 cup grated ginger root
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 12 cups water
- 2 1/4 oz packages active dry yeast
- 2 cups sugar
- In a large bowl, combine and stir grated ginger root, lime juice, and cream of tartar.
- In a large pot, bring 12 cups water to a boil over high heat.
- Pour hot water over ginger mixture and set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine yeast, 1/4 cup water and 1/2 cup sugar.
- Stir to make a smooth paste.
- When ginger mixture is warm, add yeast mixture and stir well. Cover bowl and refrigerate from 3-5 days.
- Pour ginger mixture through a strainer with another large bowl underneath to catch the liquid. Add remaining sugar to ginger beer and stir well.
Coconuts is a supreme ingredient in most, if not all, Belizean dishes. There are so many things you can do with coconuts. Best thing to do is to eat it. Yes, you can use coconuts when making things like coconut rice, coconut shrimp, etc. Coconut oil is probably one of the world’s most used oil and it has many health benefits. You can use it in place of Olive oil, Canola oil, Vegetable oil or just about any oils you use for cooking and/or baking. You can use coconuts to make drinks like Pina Colada. An easy quick coconut drink recipe is as follows:
10oz Coconut water
1tbs of lime or lemon
1tsp of sugar (optional)
1tbs of rum or tequila (optional)
Mix together the above ingredients and enjoy.
Coconuts are a superfood and should be added to more of your dishes. Try it!
Follow me on Twitter @BelizeCuisine