Johnny Cakes are a favored breakfast item for Belizeans. It is a cross between what American people know as biscuits and muffins. Johnny Cakes are so favored by Belizeans that they are also consumed during their lunch and dinner meals. They go well with refried red or black beans, melted cheese, scrambled eggs and stewed chicken.
Here’s one of many recipes:
3 cups all purpose flour
1/4 -1/2 cup either butter, shortening, lard, margarine or coconut oil (Butter is preferred to me)
1/2 tsp salt
1tbsp of white sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 – 3/4 cup coconut milk
1. Sift flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl.
2. Add the egg, butter, shortening or coconut oil, mix well.
3. Add the coconut milk gradually to form a dough.
4. Roll out into small balls, flatten slightly and prick with a fork.
5. Bake in a hot oven 375°F for 15-20 mins
6. Slice and butter while hot and enjoy.
Makes about 8-12