Every Saturday, you will find at least one Belizean making Garnaches. It is quick and easy but very delicious.
Here’s a recipe:
- 1 lb. yellow or white corn tortilla
- 1 can refried red kidney or black beans
- ½ tsp salt,
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 pint of coconut or cooking oil
- 4 oz. cabbage
- 4oz onions
- 4 oz carrots
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 small habanero pepper or jalepeno pepper
- Mash refried beans then season with salt and pepper and warm on stove.
- Grate parmesan cheese (set aside)
- Fry tortillas with coconut or cooking oil.
- Drain fry tortillas on paper towel
- Put refried beans on fried tortilla
Make sauce mixture:
- Shred cabbage, onion, carrot and dice habanero or jalepeno pepper. Put all in small bowl with vinegar. Let sit for half hour.
- Cover with sauce mixture: cabbage, onions, carrots & habanero or jalapeno pepper
- Sprinkle top with grated parmesan cheese.