Escabeche is a delicious onion soup. It is perfect way to jazz up the boring chicken soup and perfect if you have a cold or flu.
Here’s a recipe:
ESCABECHE (4-6 servings)
1 3 lbs whole chicken
3 – 4 lbs onion
1 pt vinegar or little less
1/2 tsp thyme
6 – 8 spice seeds
8 – 10 cups of water
2 sprigs of oregano leaves
salt and pepper to taste
2 cloves garlic
2 – 4 jalapeno peppers (whole)
1. Cut chicken into serving pieces and fry until evenly brown, then remove form pan or boil the whole chicken in the 8 – 10 cups of water with 1/2 tsp salt. Remove to oven to bake until brown. Then remove meat from bones. Save the stock for step 3.
2. Cut onions into thin slices and soak in vinegar and 1/2 cup water.
3. Pour water into a large saucepan and add the seasonings, and whole peppers and allow it to boil for 10 minutes.
4. Add the chicken and allow to boil for 10 minutes
5. Add all the onions and vinegar to taste.
6. Simmer for 5 minutes
7. Serve hot with corn or flour tortillas
Taken from Hotel Mopan