Ginger beer is loved by most Belizean for its pungent ginger flavor. However, it’s not an alcoholic drink. In other words, you will not get a buzz from drinking it (Maybe a sugar rush, though). Similar to root beer, which is also non-alcoholic, ginger beer is just a delicious tasting drink. Would you like to try it? Here’s a recipe from: http://www.islandflave.com
- 3/4 cup grated ginger root
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 12 cups water
- 2 1/4 oz packages active dry yeast
- 2 cups sugar
- In a large bowl, combine and stir grated ginger root, lime juice, and cream of tartar.
- In a large pot, bring 12 cups water to a boil over high heat.
- Pour hot water over ginger mixture and set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine yeast, 1/4 cup water and 1/2 cup sugar.
- Stir to make a smooth paste.
- When ginger mixture is warm, add yeast mixture and stir well. Cover bowl and refrigerate from 3-5 days.
- Pour ginger mixture through a strainer with another large bowl underneath to catch the liquid. Add remaining sugar to ginger beer and stir well.