Conch (pronounced ‘konk’), is a shell fish like an oyster, it is one of Belize’s favorite seafood. The meat of conch is firm and white and is prepared in a variety of ways including conch chowder, conch stew, conch salad, popular conch fritters.
|Here’s a CONCH FRITTERS recipe:
2 cups ground conch
1 cup flour
1/2 cup coconut or evaporated milk
1 tsp. grated onion
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp tomato ketchup
3/4 – 1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
oil for frying
2 tbsp grated green pepper
1. Clean conch by peeling off outer dark skin.
2. Rinse in lime water or vinegar
3. Combine ground conch, onion, pepper and milk and mix well.
4. Sift dry ingredients together and add to the conch mixture, beating util smooth.
5. Drop enough batter for medium fritters in hot fat.
6. Dry until evenly brown.
7 Drain on absorbent paper. Serve at once.
From Hotel Mopan